Spring officially arrives today, and most of us have been eagerly awaiting her. It may or may not feel like spring, yet let’s get ready for warm breezes and sunshine using my Top 10 Tips. Then you can enjoy the spring weather with your family and friends, when she really emerges.
1. Inspect your roof for damage. Clean your gutters and down spouts, make necessary repairs to insure water is moved away from your home.
2. Inspect your siding for cracks, breaks, buckling, and rot. Repair as necessary and perhaps give it a wash.
3. Inspect your home’s foundation for cracks and repair to prevent water from entering your home. Ensure that the grading around the home slopes away to move the water away.
4. Sweep porches, patios, side walks, and drive way. Inspect these for cracks or breaks and repair to avoid falls. This is extreme though even small cracks can be hazardous.
5. Inspect and replace any failing or missing caulk around windows, doors, and where different materials meet.
6. If you had ice dams this winter, now is the time to take these five steps to avoid them and their damage and costly repairs next winter.
7. Wash window exteriors and their screens. Time for new windows? Read my Window Selection Guide first.
8. Check your wood decks for wear and exposed wood. Repair and refinish if necessary using my Top 3 Exterior Wood Coatings.
9. Call a professional to inspect and service your air conditioner.
10. Bring out your patio furniture, give it a wash, relax.
Take some time to implement these tips to get your home fresh and worry free for spring. Read my Top 10 Insider Tips for a Fresh Spring Home. Then be sure to share these with your friends.